Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Independent Wealth, Here I Come!

I think - correct me if necessary, but I think I've finally got it - I think that I am officially self-employed (as opposed to UN-employed).

Last week, I received my last government mandated unemployment insurance payment. This was slightly terrifying, in no small part because we're BROKE. (had I mentioned that before? Broke, broke, broke.) I've been distributing resumes, "networking with contacts", and all of those other fun things one is supposed to do to get an appropriate job, but so far none of these has panned out.

In the last few months, I've been walking dogs to make a little extra cash. And in the last few weeks, I've been thinking, "Hey! This job thing isn't working out so much. What if I walked more dogs?" I put up a few ads on Craig's List.

Well, thank you, Craig! Because, suddenly, a steady stream of people want me to walk their precious little poochies, enough so that (once Kiernan goes back to school)I'll be pulling down more than I was as a legitimate member of the workforce. More, even though I'll actually be working half the hours (and not even sending K to an after-school program, hence saving some $$$). And I found this "pet-sitter" health insurance that costs less than that provided by my last job. I can get bonded and insured for - get this - $100 bucks. Add that to the cost of a metrocard and some good, weather-ly outerwear, and my total overhead is barely over $1000. Not bad at all - not one bit. I be cool like that.

5 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is... fabulous.

Adam,
Man of Many Words.

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesomely awesome.

Ursus
www.standingbear.org

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Wow! I wish I could walk dogs for a living. Awesome for you!!!!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Eden said...

You know, in The Sims dogwalkers can become circus performers. I'm just saying.

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is this Pet Sitters Health Insurance you speak of? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I myself am a sitter here in California and am insured for the business through BIC but am looking into healthcare insurance options for myself. I heard about Pet Sitters of America but a google search takes me to some pet sitting companies throughout the US and not an actual insurance company designed for sitters like us. Any suggestions? Email petsitterkat@yahoo.com. No need to approve this comment>
. Thanks mucho!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home