Saturday, August 28, 2004

Let the Games Begin!

The arrests that started trickling in last week have finally started full force. 150 uh 200 uh I meant 400 um, an undetermined number of Critical Mass bikers were arressted last night for blocking traffic.

The boys & I were downtown last night to see the original Godzilla at the Film Forum (don't even ask...), then moseyed to the east side to get something to eat. Tim ran into an old friend who'd just seen them pass. "It was insane! They were passing for at least fifteen minutes. Traffic was completely cut off. This asshole in an SUV drove right through and crushed a couple of bikes."

There have been several rappeling banner hangers, all of whom have been locked up. There were the naked Act-Up third world debt relief activists two days ago. (They showed one cheeky bum in the Post. Kiernan saw the picture and asked, "Couldn't they have worn some shorts or something? Jeez.") There were the Yippies handing out Krispy Kremes to the NYPD near Mayor Bloomberg's townhouse. Good times.

And tomorrow? A parade! Yay! UFPJ (United for Peace and Justice) finally got it together and decided on a march route (followed by a peaceful dispersal and "individual groups heading to the Great Lawn of their own volition." Subtle. Real subtle.)

I'm dragging Kiernan down to 14th Street and 7th Avenue at 10 am tomorrow. The march is scheduled to proceed north up to 34th Street, past Madison Square Garden, then head east to Broadway, then south to rally at Union Square.

This is the legal, permitted protest; as long as we do what we're told, there shouldn't be much trouble. I am, however, extremely hesitant to take my child to Central Park. It's not that I fear physical danger, but the fact that the Park has become a big symbol, is a technically illegal site, and the NYPD are not ones to fuck around with these kinds of things.

Maybe before then I can develop enough geek prowess to save and post pictures. More to come.

9 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Anonymous beginnings said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a ##yourownboss## site/blog. It pretty much covers ##website## related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Phil

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous upgrade said...

Well you never know what interesting things are out
there to see, until you see a blog like yours.
Looks good! Keep it up!
Come see my site/blog if you like
##independence## it may be of##Future## interest to you.
If you find the time.
Phil

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous started said...

Sure have alot of info here, I really like your site.
I will probably visit here again. Have a great life.
If you would like you might visit my site:
##webdesign## It is all about##yourfuture## having your own website.
Come and visit if you like.
Phil

 
At 4:39 AM, Anonymous age said...

Wonderful blog, I really like it!
keep up the good work in what ever you go for.
If you or anyonre you know is interested in starting a website, you could go to my site/blog and check out what I have to offer: ##freedom##
What's in your ##family## immediate future?
If you have any interest.
Phil

 
At 1:55 AM, Anonymous hesitate said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a ##yourownboss## site/blog. It pretty much covers ##website## related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Phil

 
At 6:21 AM, Anonymous can said...

Well you never know what interesting things are out
there to see, until you see a blog like yours.
Looks good! Keep it up!
Come see my site/blog if you like
##independence## it may be of##Future## interest to you.
If you find the time.
Phil

 
At 5:12 AM, Anonymous web said...

Well you never know what interesting things are out
there to see, until you see a blog like yours.
Looks good! Keep it up!
Come see my site/blog if you like
##independence## it may be of##Future## interest to you.
If you find the time.
Phil

 
At 3:27 AM, Anonymous new said...

Good looking blog you have.
I always refreshing to see creativity.
Wish you the best!
If you would like you might visit my site:
##webdesign## It is all about##yourfuture## having your own website.
Come and visit if you like.
Phil

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous can said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a ##yourownboss## site/blog. It pretty much covers ##website## related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Phil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home