Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Six Degrees of Katination

Finslippy (who, by the way, I highly recommend - go there now) inspired me to chronicle my recent brushes with fame. Which, since I don't have so many personal ones, are gonna go more like a six degrees of Kevin Bacon - only leading to ME. Scintillating, in't it?

1. About three weeks ago I passed Matt Dillon on the street. On Lex and, I don't know, 82nd? I don't think he's attractive, but he was much more so in person. Tall. Unshaven. I looove that. Only, he was one of those annoying cell phone toting / oblivious to pedestrian traffic people, which I hate.

2. I saw Lou Reed near the Chelsea Barnes & Noble last spring. That's right, mothafuckin' Lou "I am the grand daddy of all music that came after me" Reed. It was on 6th Avenue between 22nd and 23rd. He was leathery. He was not with Lori Anderson. He is a god. I'm proud that I was able to pick up my lower lip off of the sidewalk and tote it around propped up on top of my purse without too much physical discomfort.

3. Back in high school, I went to see The Cocteau Twins at the Riviera Theatre in North Tonawanda, a suburb (if you can call it that) of Buffalo. It turned out that the Smashing Pumpkins were playing at UB that weekend, and Billy Corgan came out to see the show. My friends -- two feedback lovin' dorks if ever there were feedback lovin' dorks in 1992-- insisted that we worship at the altar of Billy afterwards. I was not particularly impressed, but he was also quite tall.

4. I met Henry Rollins after a spoken word gig in college, but it was brief and crowded.

Now, Round 2 - the degree phase.
Tim has brushes with fame all of the time, because he runs coffee shops on the Upper East Side.

1. He chats with Gloria Steinem every couple of days. He once got her to rant about Camille Paglia. I also saw a current picture of Betty Friedan last week, and she looks exactly like Tim's mother (yes, this is random, but I didn't know where else to fit it in.) It's truly disturbing, and makes me suspect that Ms. Freidan is living a secret life, as a retiree in Cape Cod.

2. Al Leiter, one of the Mets' starting pitchers, comes in a lot. Tim says most of the women in line have no idea who he is, but ogle him mercilessly anyway. I guess that'll happen when you're 6'4" and 220 lbs. of pure muscle. Oh, but remember that series against the Yankees, beginning of July, when the Mets swept the Yankees? (Sorry, I just had to get that in there.) Leiter was the starting pitcher for the shut-out game (or, I think it was a shut out. I can't rightly remember).

3. Amanda Hearst, useless socialite, has come in, flashed her credit card, and asked an employee, "Don't you know who I am?"

4. Matthew Lillard came in once. Tim was extremely upset that he couldn't think of something snarky to say, because he hates Matthew Lillard. I don't know why - probably just pure, unadulterated irrationality.

5. When Tim worked for a different employer, years ago, he met Whoopi Goldberg and Carson Daley (not at the same time,) who were both extremely self-centered and rude. He met John Waters in the same place, but he was cool, and so was that third guy from "O Brother Where Art Thou"... you know, not George Clooney, not John Turturro, but___ ? This means that Tim is one degree of separation away from the Coen brothers, and that makes Tim just a little bit cooler than he already was. He also met Paul Sorvino - you know, Pauley from Goodfellas? Mira Sorvino's father? - on the street, and he was one of those people who doesn't shake hands. Also, believe it or not, Flavah Flav.

8 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Robert said...

I am feeling multiple degrees of irrelevance. I don't even know who several of those people are. And now I want to know why I don't know. It's very distressing. Could it be that I live in an across-the-board backwater of existence? Thought so.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said...

I shook Gerald Ford's hand in 1977. Spellbinding, no?

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't usually think about it all that much, but since you started-

I played pool with Matt Dillon on a couple of occasions, as he was the best buddy of a lighting designer I was working with at the time. I confess to not realizing it was him at all, one of the other electricians (another Katie) had to set me straight. Nice enough guy.

I have been sternly spoken to by Donna Karan and Robert Wilson, joked around on set with Patrick Stewart, and have had Phillip Seymore Hoffman so (justifiably, I admit) furious with me for fucking up a job I was doing that he hung up on me. Once I met Ice-T and Screech (yes, from saved by the bell) on the same big corporate gig (somebody was really trying to cover all the demographics on THAT one)

Ursus
www.standingbear.org

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Ontario Emperor said...

Dustin Diamond (Screech) was the only person who benefited from Fox's Celebrity Boxing TV shows. Yes, I know that he only whipped Horshak (sp?), but an image as a winning boxer is better than his previous image.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Jen(nifer) said...

Oh boy...almost all of my exciting ones are, uh...political.

And Republican. No fun there! Rudy l )

I sat and had coffee with my favoirte band Lowest of the Low...I have met the band Carbon Leaf? Uh...

Megan Follows jogged by me at Stratford, On.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Oh, the political talk made me remember - my VERY FIRST brush with fame was at the tender age of four. My parents dragged me to one of these university galas, or whatever you want to call them, where all of the faculty goes to a party at the President or Chancellor's house. Jimmy Carter's aunt Sissy was there - I don't remember, but my dad has a polaroid of me in her lap, looking cute.

And Ursus, I already knew you'd met a million cool people (Phillip Seymour Hoffman?! Drool) but I figured you'd out yourself. You have your own blog, after all!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger homercat said...

Seeing lou Reed would have made my life.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Esther Kustanowitz said...

I'm like Haley Joel Osment--except I "see famous people."

http://myurbankvetch.blogspot.com/2004/06/love-your-neighbors.html

In addition to that, Liev Schreiber heard me sing in a karaoke competition, and the actor's name you're looking for (O Brother Where Art Thou) is Tim Blake Nelson, I think.

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home